A Driving While Under the Influence (DWI) (N.J.S.A. 39:4-50) arrest can be a very scary and overwhelming experience. A DWI arrest can be especially stressful because of the uncertainty that lies ahead. The possibility of going to jail, the threat of fines and/or losing your license can make the situation that more nerve-racking. A DWI arrest can be a life-changing event. New Jersey takes DWI seriously and has enforced severe consequences for those who are convicted of breaking the law. Being found guilty of a DWI in Jackson Township can result in harsh penalties including:
- Heavy fines, fees, and surcharges
- Driver's license suspension
- Community Service
- Ignition interlock device (IID) – This device is located in your motor vehicle. The driver must blow into the device, and if that person's blood alcohol content is higher than a certain level, then the motor vehicle will not start.
- Jail time
Once You Leave the Police Station After a DWI Arrest What Should You Do?
Write Everything Down! It is critical that you note all of the events that occurred during your DWI arrest. The sooner you can write down the details of the DWI arrest, the more accurate the information will be. Details are very important. Information you would want to write in your notes include:
- Time and location of the DWI arrest
- What happened/Details of the DWI arrest
- What tests were administered OR not administered (i.e. breath test, other tests)
- The reason the officer(s) said why you were stopped
- What questions did the officer(s) ask you
- Officer(s) name(s)
- How many drinks you consumed
- Was anyone else present during the time of your DWI arrest
- Weather conditions
- Road conditions
- Time of day
- Traffic conditions
- Possible witnesses
Depending on where the DWI arrest occurred and what tests were administered, there is a possibility that your performance could have been hindered by less than ideal surroundings and circumstances. If anyone was with you in your car or watching while the DWI arrest occurred it is important that you get his or her name and contact information. Call a DWI Lawyer IMMEDIATELY! In New Jersey, the laws regarding DWI can be very complicated. It is important that you seek the legal assistance of experienced DWI defense lawyers, like the attorneys at Villiani & DeLuca.
Jackson Township DWI Defense Attorney
Need a DWI defense attorney? At Villani & DeLuca you will work with an experienced team of lawyers dedicated to helping you every step of the way. Located in Point Pleasant Beach, NJ, the DWI defense attorneys of Villani & DeLuca offer a FREE legal consultation. If you, a family member, or some you know has been charged with a DWI in Jackson Township call us at (732)-965-3999.
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment